- check user permissions
- Minix FS v2 full implementation
What is Fiwix?
The Linux kernel is currently too big for a student of computer science to be able to understand quickly its internal structure and how it works, and tomorrow it will be even bigger than it is today. In contrast the Fiwix kernel, due to its minimal structure, can be the entry-level kernel and can therefore be more suitable for education. This project should be useful for students of computer science and new OS enthusiasts who might want to know more about the internal operation of a real UNIX-like operating system.
Do not think of GNU/Fiwix as a new UNIX flavor with its own system utilities, libraries, compilers, etc. Think about GNU/Fiwix as a new UNIX-like kernel that takes advantage of the existing GNU applications.
It is based on the monolithic kernel design and it is written entirely in C language, leaving only for the Assembler the small needed parts.
The development team is one person: me.
ObjectivesThe project targets the following goals.
- To create a UNIX-like kernel as an old personal challenge.
- To provide a simple and a clean source code for educational purposes.
- To learn about the exciting world of kernel internals.
- To conform with open standards as much as possible.
- To enjoy my life with a little bit of kernel hacking. ;-)
LicenseThe Fiwix kernel is expected to be publicly available under an open source license when it reaches the 1.0 version (self-hosting).